Loading...

Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Clutter Buster: Catalog Those Magazine Clippings



















I am a self-professed magazine addict. It's really out of control but I do read all of them, every month. As a green mama this probably isn't the most green habit either. I realize that and have extreme guilt about it -- but I do recycle them.

When my husband and I were newlyweds he would be exasperated by my pile of magazines in our tiny condo mailbox every month but he was impressed that I read them all so he kept his mouth shut after that. I'm some sort of freaky magazine Rain woMan savant. I absorb random facts, crafts, decorating ideas, recipes and parenting tips from them and can remember stuff I read or saw 10 years ago. Wish I could have done that with something useful in school, like my chemistry or geometry textbooks, but they weren't interesting enough. If Martha Stewart, Family Fun, and Better Homes and Gardens had found a way to present my school work as home decor and craft ideas I would have had a much higher GPA. I aced Art, Photography and Clothing. [Editor's Note: these are the 3 classes I actually use to this day]

I clip out whatever I think I might want to reference later and recycle or pass along the rest of the magazine every month so I don't have shelves full of magazines. I do have one designated shelf for my magazine habit in our guest room. I have binders (with page protectors inside of them) that I file all of my fabulous inspiration into by category. This way I can easily grab a book of ideas whenever I'm working on a holiday project, planning a birthday party, or looking for the perfect organizing tip. Some of my categories include: "Home Projects: So Very Martha", "Halloween", "Birthday Party Ideas", "Parenting", "Winter", "Christmas", "Summer Entertaining", "Cute Craft Ideas", etc.

In case you're curious, here is my list of (14) magazines I have current subscriptions to:

Better Homes and Gardens
Southern Living
Family Fun
Parenting
Parents
Wonder Time
"O" Oprah
Smithsonian
Consumer Reports
Kiplinger's Personal Finance
Ladies' Home Journal
Woman's Day
Everyday Food
LadyBug (that one is the Frog Princess' subscription)

I also steal my mom's leftover Martha Stewart and Family Circle magazines. You know, in case I run out of stuff to read...

Yeah....it really is out of control.

19 comments:

Melinda Zook said...

Oh my goodness girlfriend. You read a lot of magazines! I had saved a ton of mine over the years always intending to cut and organize them but I just never got around to it. A couple of months I gathered them all up and gave them away to my mom's company, to put in their lunchroom. It felt good to clear them out. I still do have another pile though of recipes and stuff I cut out that needs to be organized. The binders look like a good idea!

Not Hannah said...

I...just...wow.

That is the craziest and most awesome thing I've ever seen. I feel much better about my collection of recipes and magazine subscriptions.

Jacie said...

That really is a lot of magazines. How in the world do you find time to read them all? I know what you mean though about remembering ideas, crafts, etc. from old magazine articles. I keep the magazines that I know one day I'll use for their articles-but I don't have so many they need catloging. I ended subscriptions to save money and now just use the internet. But believe me I'll be passing along your post to my sister in law who keeps a ton of magazines and NEEDS to catalog them and put them away something fierce! So thanks.

MyBrownBaby said...

Good googa mooga! You really read all those magazines every month?! I get Essence, Real Simple, The New Yorker, Parenting, and Domino, and I swear they STAY stacked up in the kitchen next to my computer, like a huge, menacing stranger, beckoning me to play. I want to. I really do. But time won't allow it. I flip through, fold pages I want to go back to, and then... they sit. This is a GREAT idea, though. I'll give it a whirl, if only to reduce the pile!!!

Casey said...

OMG, I can't even keep up with the two subscriptions I have! I'm more worried about keeping up with my DVR...

michelle {sweet mady's paper} said...

what a great idea! I just use file folders and that's a mess.

Emily said...

I love magazines, but usually just give them to friends when i am done with them.. I love this idea! AWESOME!

Carrie said...

wow, you do read alot of magazines. I am very impressed with how well you sort and organize them. I need to remember that I only read country living and real simple and sometimes I feel overwhelmed with them.

Christie-A Work In Progress said...

Hey! I actually started doing this to get rid of my piles of magazines. Granted, my clippings have yet to make it into nifty binders like yours but the intent is there!

Jenni Jiggety said...

Wow! You have A LOT of magazines! I just throw all of mine away...but most of mine are cheesy entertainment rags because I am shallow.

hellokittiemama said...

I had the mag habit!!! I was not nearly as organized as you though. I broke the habit kind of cold turkey when we moved and somehow my subscriptions didn't make it to my new adress. I realized after a month and I hadn't read any magazines. Unlike you, I didn't read all the ones that I got and they tended to pile up. I'd read here and there but never cover to cover. Your organized clip and binder method is amazing!!!

Sue said...

That's a great idea with the binders. I mostly only get one magazine right now. It's great that you are really using these magazines, not just throwing them away. Your husband can't complain, you're really getting your moneys worth out of them. Thanks for stopping by my blog & for your nice comment. :)

Kristen Andrews said...

I love your idea for mag clippings! I struggle w/ clutter

My Three Girls (The A girls) said...

love the idea of puuting the important things in binders.

I also love magazines.

K. said...

Be still my heart...someone else who is as obsessed with magazines as I am! What a great idea for organizing ideas! Now I can finally go through all of my saved magazines, cut out what I like and recycle them...which will make my husband SO happy!

Thank you for sharing this wonderful, yet simple, idea!!

paperglueetc said...

we might be related, all the women in my family are obsessed with magazines and I'm glad we trade them back and forth makes you not feel as guilty if 5 or 6 people have enjoyed them

Judy @ In His Grip said...

I like this idea. I clip things from magazines all the time and then never know what to do with them so I can find them again. I am headed out to Office Depot right now to get some notebooks.

iris7531 said...

Oh WOW! ;) I don't have any magazines. But my kids each have 1 sub. I think your idea is great. I have a friend who has a lot of subscriptions, I will pass on your knowledge. You are a PROFESSIONAL! :)

Shannon said...

ahhhh... this makes me want to sign up for a few more! I love Family Fun too!

Blog Archive

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...