Friday, October 2, 2009

Indoor Garden: Making Terrariums With Kids


The girls and I
planted mini gardens
last week.

(The one in the photo with both girls
is Mini-Saurus' garden...
she arranged her animals all by herself!)

They selected
miniature plants
at the nursery with daddy
during a weekend field trip
(while mama got some uninterrupted studio time!)

We picked up these big
glass fish bowls
from a fellow Freecycler.

You could use just about any kind of glass
(or plastic) container.

We added a small layer of gardening charcoal.
Then some brown gravel.
A layer of spagnum moss to act like a filter,
then potting soil.

The girls had fun planting
and even more fun arranging "scenes"
with small toys.
(Think dinosaurs, match box cars,
little animals, mushrooms, etc)

The Frog Princess made some sculpey clay snails
to live in her terrarium.
(we cooked them in the oven,
note: don't put real snails in the oven!)

We also added some small figurines.
A perfect way to keep a bit of summer
inside for the long fall and winter ahead!

I kept them on the buffet for the weekend,
then moved them to the
sunny playroom windowsill!

The Frog Princess' finished snail and fairy garden.

Happy (Indoor) Gardening!

13 comments:

Wendy Hawksley said...

If there was a nursery nearby, this is something we would definitely do. We have a great southern exposure here, perfect for such a project.

These are gorgeous!

Kate @ Bliss and That said...

LOVE this! I've always wanted to do terrariums... So pretty!

Anne said...

I LOVE terrariums! The ones you and your girls made are beautiful! I agree that arranging little scenes is the best part, too. :) It's also cool when you start to see the roots growing along the inside of the glass.

BranFlakes said...

They turned out so pretty! I used to have a bunch of these when I was in high school, don't really know why I stopped making them.

magicalmusings said...

I have thought of doing something like this for years but keep forgetting. I will put it on my "to do" list soon with my daughter. Hope she won't put her toy fairies in there as they might mold!

Bridgett said...

What a great project idea!

And they look so pretty too.
Loving this.

)O(
boo

tsegal said...

I do this kind of miniature organic diorama thing too- I make figurines from polymer clay to put in my terrariums- it is so much fun and kids love it! www.thyrza.ca

thephantommoon said...

Love it! Great job :)

Nicole Feliciano said...

I love it! I included this in my birthday party theme post here:

http://momtrends.blogspot.com/2009/10/birthday-party-themes-and-activities.html

I gave you credit and a link.

Anonymous said...

what is the tree looking plant in the frog princess one?
Love them good job!!

pink and green mama MaryLea said...

It was some kind of mini arbor vitae that I picked up from the tiny plants/fairy garden area at our local nursery.

Fondly,
MaryLea

Becky said...

I love this! Terrariums are so cool, but generally I think of them as adult things. These are super fun and they can be themed so well according to what the kids are learning or the season- awesome. Thanks for the inspiration!

http://thisfineday.com

Marijke Lowe said...

What a dynamic way to inspire creativity in children!��

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...