Loading...

Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Painting Fall Trees With Kids



She is a WONDERFUL art teacher
and has so many great ideas
(she's on my sidebar and one of my regular must-reads).

I saw these fall trees this summer
and couldn't wait to do a version
with my own artists in residence.

She used watercolor washes for her beautiful
fall color backgrounds
but we decided to try out
tissue paper collage on ours.

I remember making paintings like this with
my mom and her watercolors when I was a little girl.


First we glued some
(shades of orange) tissue paper
squares to a fuscia sheet of paper.

Then we made a big, wet,
black watercolor puddle
at the bottom of the page.


Then I gave the Frog Princess
a straw from our Inventions Box
(you can also use a ballpoint pen tube)
and told her to blow.

You may need to add a little more
of a puddle to your paint blob
as you go to get the tree going.

You could also do this with very watery
paint (watered down tempera)

I love the black tree silhouette against the bold colors.
Happy Fall Crafting!

Blog Archive

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...