Loading...

Saturday, October 17, 2009

Preschool At Home: Practice With Scissors

The Mini-Saurus is 32 months old now
and showing an interest in a lot of
"big girl"
fine motor skills work.

She just wants to do whatever her big sister is up to.

So, we've been having our own
mini preschool lessons at home in the mornings
after her sister climbs on that big yellow bus.

One of her favorite lessons right now
is our practicing with scissors.

I set up a bucket with strips of paper scraps
and two pairs of children's scissors.

Obviously this is something we
only do together,
I would never let a child this age use scissors without supervision!
(I still supervise my husband with scissors)

I model how to properly hold the scissors
with her thumb on top.
(like you're going to shake someone's hand)

How to hold the strip of paper
and keep your fingers away from the scissor blades.

And of course,
how to carry scissors the safe way
by holding the blades in your fist.

You can also start
scissor work with
preschoolers using play-doh
and plastic play scissors.

She's doing very well,
and LOVES her new
big girl scissor skills.

I'm savoring my mornings at home
with my little cutie-pie
before the big yellow bus gobbles her up!

4 comments:

Wendy Hawksley said...

I remember when snipping confetti was fun, fun, fun! For Gavin... Not so much for mom. ;)

Nicole {tired, need sleep} said...

Cutting with scissors is so much fun for kids this age... honestly I still love cutting! :) Straws work good too for developing the skill - if you don't mind pieces of straws flying around the room. :)

Bridgett said...

She's such a big girl! :)

I need to let my daughter use scissors more.

Lori Ann said...

We totally need more practice in this area! I just hate cleaning up afterward. May I should take her out and have her practice while standing over the worm bin, since they will clean up the mess for me!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...