Thursday, January 28, 2010

Upcycled Sweater Hot Water Bottle Cozy

We've had a tummy bug in our house,
tis the season for them.
Last February, we all passed one around
that ended up with me having it for
Mini-Saurus' birthday.

(Ugh! Wish I'd thought of this last year... )

This year, the Frog Princess brought
it home from school
and had a pretty wicked
tummy ache.

I needed a way to make her
feel better
and in the past my
heart shaped water bottle
has done the trick.

I wanted to make it a bit more
cuddly so I upcycled one
of her favorite old sweaters
into a hot water bottle cozy.

See the rips at the bottom seam?
Yes, it was starting to fall apart
from being worn daily for half a year
(you think I'm joking but I'm not.)

When she
(she meaning the Frog Princess
who should know better,
not the toddler)
decided to see what would happen
if she cut the edge with scissors...

well...that pretty much finished it off.

I started by laying her sweater
on my table inside out.
Then, I traced around my hot water bottle
with a sharpie.

You purest sewers would probably
use chalk,
but as I'm traveling my 30s
my eye sight is starting
to have a harder time
with faint chalk lines
in my dim sewing nook
so... sharpie it is!

I stitched around the sharpie outline
twice with my sewing machine
to reinforce the seam.

Be careful with the presser foot,
it can snag the sweater easily.

Then, I cut out the sweater
(with a seam allowance)
with my pinking shears.

I left a big edge because I have no idea
if it's going to try to unravel on me!

Then, I turned it back inside out
and stuffed the water bottle
in the neck hole
to make sure
it would fit.

Then, I decided it needed a little bit
of felty love,
because I can't leave anything alone!

Ta-da...
so soft
and the Frog Princess was
thrilled to see her
favorite fuzzy sweater
again.

7 comments:

House Mother said...

What a wonderful idea!

I think I saw a hot water bottle once or twice growing up in New York. I had the idea that they were only for little old ladies.

Now that I'm in Ireland (cold, damp, a little old fashioned) I see them everywhere and all of the stores sell hot water bottle covers. The covers come in every style imaginable including Disney themes, satin, and faux fur.

With old sweaters in abundance, and hot water bottles everywhere, this is a really practical idea for me, and I may be wrong but it looks fairly easy. Even for me.

Thanks so much for the ongoing inspiration.

Val in the Rose Garden said...

Oh I love it! The critter warmies have been like that for us. The kids just love them! They are such a comfort.

Adorable as always. :)

Val

Jen said...

This has been on my to-do list all winter. Our hot waters bottles have been in constant use, too. Get well soon!

e.m. said...

Hi! I am de-lurking and wanted to chime in! I love the heart shaped water bottle! We only have the regular kind :( but we are also in the process of giving them some sweater love! Have a great weekend!

Melissa: Mother to 3 Little Sprouts said...

Very cute blog! I love arts and crafts, and you have some great ideas! Thanks for sharing!

Jen said...

Okay, that tummy bug is here in the Wild West as well. We have managed to avoid it. Thank goodness. I love the heart-shaped hot water bottle and your upcycling is DIVINE. The felty goodnes makes it superb. Hope you all are feeling better soon.

Angie@treasures for tots said...

Thank you for sharing your awesome project at Thursday’s Treasures last week! Come share your crafty projects in this week’s Thursday’s Treasures too!
http://treasuresfortots.blogspot.com/2010/02/thursdays-treasures-week-8.html

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...