Thursday, June 17, 2010

Kid's Carpentry: Pencil Block


My sweet seven year old
"E" 
made this pencil block 
from a scrap of wood
this past weekend.


Her daddy gave her a lesson
on how to use power tools. 

She loved drilling holes. 

Getting the drill bit 
back out of the wood
was a bit of a challenge. 


My sweet husband, 
sat patiently with both girls
explaining safety rules for using 
the cordless power drill. 

I've been on the hunt for months
for a good old-fashioned
hand-crank drill,
but the big box stores here
don't carry them.
We don't seem to have a good
mom and pop antique/farm auction-type place
to find one here. 


After a light sanding
(I wish I had Teacher Tom's 
Mouse Sander!)

"E" got to work with 
my acrylic paint
in the art studio
and came to show us her 
finished masterpiece!


She said the wood "told"
her what to paint...

I love that.

She followed the grain of the wood
for things like: 
Rainbows,
Stripes, 
and Dots. 


This would be a fun 
Father's Day project 
for a 
parent and child
 to do together

Making things together
builds connections
and 
makes fond memories
for both of them! 

Fondly,

pink and green mama
MaryLea

7 comments:

jen at paintcutpaste.com said...

how sweet is this marylea?!?! i love it... and i totally adore how the materials informed her of what they wanted to become or what to paint on them. so awesome.

Jaimie said...

This is great. Thanks for sharing.

twolittleseeds said...

This is soooo cool! I love it x

patricia said...

you might want to try a craft store, Fiskars has a craft hand drill. Love your craft ideas!

Noreen said...

I love a Dad who works with his kids, and particularly one who teaches girls how to use tools and be independent. I took a quick look to see what I could find in hand drills and found this:

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=Hand+Drill&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=3777566888660380644&ei=xrAbTOmME4aKlwf_5rzQCQ&sa=X&oi=product_catalog_result&ct=result&resnum=3&ved=0CDgQ8wIwAg#

Courtney Corey said...

Great idea! My son loves woodworking. We will try this at home!

Jenny said...

You've inspired my hubby to help them make one of these for their markers since they cannot remember to put lids back on.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...