Saturday, July 24, 2010
* Homemade Japanese Fish Kite Fun!
"C" and I decided to make our own
Japanese Fish Kite
(windsock) last month and I'm finally posting photos.
We made a batch of these kites with some of her little
3 and 4 year old friends during our Mommy and Me Mini-Ocean Fun
Art Camps here at our house in June.
I started with a large rectangle
of white paper, folded in half lengthwise (hot dog fold).
I trimmed a (V) tail shape at the bottom,
not something for 3 year olds to do, but totally do-able if you're making with older kids!
Then, we opened it up and added wavy lines
with markers (I prefer sharpies)
and zig-zag lines to the body as scales.
Drew two circles for fish eyes.
Then, they got to work coloring their fish (still opened flat)
with dot-a-dot markers and watercolors.
Note: Learn from my mistake!
I used my cool, semi-translucent, Japanese printmaking paper
but that was a big mistake... when the little kids started watercolor-ing
on it, it couldn't take the massive quantities of water they used
and started to rip.... I should have used heavier white drawing paper
(and supervised brush wiping more carefully!)
When the fish were dry,
we added a line of glue
along the open edge of the paper
(to the belly of the fish!)
and folded it over to make it like a cylinder.
Don't glue the tail shut--
leave it open so the air can blow through!
To reinforce the mouth and keep it
open in an "O" shape,
you could glue a strip of paper but I cheated and just used a strip
of white masking tape!
We added a piece of yarn to the mouth of the fish kite,
like a basket handle....
perfect for hanging in trees and holding onto while you run!
Happy Kite (making) Flying!
pink and green mama
- ► 2013 (75)
- ► 2012 (164)
- ► 2011 (152)
- Bubble Print Mats and Fish Prints
- * Homemade Japanese Fish Kite Fun!
- Pink and Green Mama Crafts: Ocean Fun Art Camp Les...
- Nature and Art: Leaf Pictures
- * Winner of Rae Grant Book "Homemade Fun" Giveaway...
- DIY Paint Chip Game - FREE Game to Entertain Kids ...
- Custom Kid Art Window Shade
- Butterfly Mobile With Watercolor Paper
- * Homemade Gifts: Marshmallow Shooters
- Easy Kool-Aid Play Dough Recipe
- Fourth of July Fun: Sifted Flour Lawn Stars
- ▼ July (11)
- ► 2009 (161)