Loading...

Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Preschool At Home: Apple Themed Play Dough Recipe and Activity

With big sister back at school last week, little sister and I have had more
time to jump back into our Preschool at Home activities. 
Our most recent was inspired by My Montessori Journey's
Apple Play-doh

I liked the idea so much I even shared the recipe with "C"s preschool teacher
for their apple unit next month. 


I improvised my own recipe
by adapting our usual Kool-Aid play-doh recipe
and adding some  Nutmeg, Allspice, and Cinnamon to the mix. 

We worked on a tray to prevent any staining or mess on the table/floor. 
"C" enjoyed learning how to pinch off small amounts of play-doh and 
roll them into little crab-apple-sized balls
Then she pushed a small stick/twig in the top as a stem and added a silk flower leaf

Super cute and fun. 
Kept her entertained for a good 40 minutes.
Mama had fun too and it smells so yummy!



No Cook Kool-Aid Play Doh Recipe:

1 Packet Sugar-Free Red Kool-Aid Mix
1 Cup of Flour
1/2 Cup of Salt
(for the apples we added a dash of  
Cinnamon, Nutmeg, and Allspice)

3 Teaspoons of Vegetable Oil
1 Cup Boiling Water

Mix dry ingredients;
then stir in oil and boiling water,
keep stirring for a minute or two --
once it cools down a bit pull it out of the bowl
and knead into a ball. Store in an air tight container.

Happy Play-doh-ing!

fondly,
pink and green mama MaryLea



6 comments:

Not Hannah said...

Excellent. I'm planning an Autumn week for River next week, so this will be perfect!

Lindsay said...

Looks like so much fine! I am making a batch of play dough this afternoon. I was thinking about using some apple juice in mine :-)

Deb Chitwood said...

Great idea! I featured your Kool-Aid playdough at http://livingmontessorinow.com/2010/09/27/activity-of-the-week-playdough-table-and-apple-playdough/

Sara Downes said...

Just a few questions I used cherry kool-aid for red color kool-aid and it turned pink and the cherry smell took over the spices? What flavor did you use and did you use some food coloring to get the red you got?

pink and green mama MaryLea said...

Hi Sara,

I did use Cherry kool-aid for my apple dough and it's more cherry spice scented than apple scented!! I just put a TON of allspice/nutmeg/cinnamon in it.

Did not add any food coloring, that was the way it turned out. Am wondering why yours turned pink instead of red? hmmm...

-MaryLea

Anonymous said...

Just made this dough with my 5 year old neice. I used tropical punch kook-aid and the color was great! However I learned something about the water - it really needs to be boiling hot. The first batch I made turned out great, but when I made the second batch and the water was just hot I didn't get dough - only a red soupy mess. Overall though this was a great fun craft for us. Thanks for sharing.

Blog Archive

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...