Monday, November 8, 2010

Displaying Children's Art Work - Gallery At Home


 I was recently inspired
about the family art gallery
she made in her hallway
with picture frames and cork-board
to create a rotating art gallery. 

It's beautiful...
BUT,
It was 
not as simple
 as it seemed.

I already had the stash of black frames
in my art studio
so I just had to go on the hunt for a roll
of cork-board cork 
(I found mine at Michaels Craft Store)


What she did not say in her post,
or maybe she used thicker cork ,
was what a Pain-In-THE-Tush
the cork is to work with!!

Arrrgh!!

The cork was so thin
that it ripped if I looked at it the wrong way.

It wasn't thick enough
to stick push pins in
so I had to replace/add a piece of 
foam core to the back of every frame
to make it thick enough to stick a 
push-pin into it. 

I also had to use spray adhesive
to stick all of the cork down
since it ripples
(she used Mod-Podge). 

The finished gallery turned out great but 
it was a bit more work 
than I thought it would be...

and,
3M Adhesive hooks 
don't work.

At least not on our walls. 

We had three pictures fall/clatter down onto the 
hardwood floor in the middle of the night -
scared me to death. 


Our finished art gallery
next to the kitchen table!

A perfect place to display all of our 
doodles, preschool projects,
and artistic masterpieces. 


"E"s beautiful still life painting--
Just had to show it off too!

Fondly,

pink and green mama,

10 comments:

Kylie said...

I love this MaryLea. We have a wall right near our dining table too that would be perfect for this.

KJ@letsgoflyakite said...

I read your post with interest as I also had this problem lining my cupboard door insides with rolled cork. It didn't stick very well and it was too thin. I think foam core + cork is the way to go, definitely more substantial.

In the end though, you persevered!! well done.

Sus said...

A lovely idea ...especially adding the foamcore to the back!

Georgine said...

You lost me when you said it wasn't that easy. Though it looks good, much better than using blue painters tape to hang stuff up. Not that I know anyone who does that.....

Kelli said...

What a wonderfully good idea. I love you blog. I forwarded the Stylish Blog award onto you.
http://www.raisinganarrow.com/2010/11/1st-blog-award.html

Jessie said...

We are also working on a way to show our work (other than the refrigerator). I got some frames that I like, and some art clips, so we'll see. Thank you for sharing! I love your kitchen :)

Jessie

www.educationofours.blogspot.com

Susannah said...

I love this idea. I have worked with cork in the past, and dealt with the same problems. I hot melt glued two sheets together to make it thick enough for push pins.

Brigit said...

Wow! This looks amazing. I have seen different posts/ideas of this and I love yours. I actually just painted some frames earlier today to make a gallery of our own. Thanks for the tips.

naturallymama said...

those 3m sticky hooks are a joke!

Brigit said...

I finally finished our wall and we LOVE it! Thanks so much for all your ideas, tips and pics. I used cork tiles for our smaller frames as it was thicker and then I didn't have to add to get the push pins to stay in. Again thanks!

Here is our wall....

http://www.AMomsPassion.blogspot.com

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...