Sunday, December 5, 2010
* Homemade DIY Christmas Tree Advent Quilt
I've been wanting to make a wall-hanging
Advent Quilt like this for a few years now.
I've seen similar ones at places like Pottery Barn and various stores over the years.
I finished it on the third day of December but we can catch up, right?!
I wanted it to be colorful, whimsical, and handmade.
Something that would be fun to make
and that the girls would be able to
enjoy and create memories with for years to come.
I had the felt and buttons in my stash.
The turquoise fabric (1/2 yard) and one package of
red quilter's binding/bias tape are goodies I picked up at Walmart.
The backing was made from a funny little green polar fleece baby blanket that was
taking up space and not being used by anyone in our house
except the cats lurking in our linen closet!
I used a combination of machine stitching and hand stitching with embroidery thread --
mostly just to get'er done more than for an aesthetic reason!
Note: Learn from my mistake:
I learned that if you use fabric glue to attach the numbers and little outside
felt squares to the bigger felt square pockets --
DON'T pin them right away with your straight pins to the quilt.
I glued my pins inside each pocket and had to use pliers
(and my hubby's brute strength) to remove several of the pins!!
I actually had this little dowel rod and finials in my crazy art supply stash.
I painted them with acrylic craft paint!
Each pocket contains a little miniature ornament to hang on the tree's buttons
with a gold star pin on the 25th to top the tree.
Happy Homemade Holidays!
Pink and Green Mama, MaryLea
- ► 2013 (75)
- ► 2012 (164)
- ► 2011 (152)
- * Coffee Filters and Watercolors Snowflake Art
- * Homemade Gift: Wood-burning Kid Illustrated Art ...
- * A Few More of My Favorite Things (and Little Peo...
- * These Are A Few Of My Favorite Things (and peopl...
- * Homemade Christmas: Toy Kitty Cat Carrier
- * Homemade Christmas: Felt Bad Guys Set!
- * Homemade Christmas: Felt Food Cookie Jar for Pre...
- * Preschool At Home: Fine Motor Skills Jingle Bell...
- * Homemade Christmas: Homemade Nativity
- * Homemade DIY Christmas Tree Advent Quilt
- * Mod-Podge and Decorative Napkin Votive Lanterns
- ▼ December (11)
- ► 2009 (161)