Loading...

Wednesday, January 12, 2011

* Shrinky Dink Fun: Homemade Stuffed Animal Name Tags



 I've mentioned before that "C" has a thing for cats.
Her collection of stuffed kitties (and a few random dogs)
is getting out of control -- I think I counted 24 stuffed cats after Christmas.

Right now, she wants to "play kitties" morning, noon, and night. 

Her big sister, "E" is kind enough to play with her
most of the time but my husband, my mom and dad, 
my mother in law, our baby sitter, and myself 
have all played our fair share of "kitties" lately. 

The thing is, all of the cats have names (and personalities).

And we're supposed to remember them. 

I have a hard enough time remembering what time 
I have to be at the bus stop and in car-line and on what days 
that there isn't much room left for  the names of 24 stuffed cats and dogs.



So, here was my "use what we have" solution to the stuffed animal name game. 

We made collars and name tags for each animal with 
shrinky dinks we had in the art studio and ribbon collars. 
Just follow the directions on the package - we used the opaque kind with sharpies.


First, I cut out circles with a big circle craft punch in the Shrinky Dink Film
and punched a small hole in the top of each one with a regular hole punch. 
Then, "C" drew pictures on one side and I wrote the names she dictated on the other. 


"C" working on her favorite pink kitty "Rosie"s tag. 


The tags fresh out of the oven. 


Kitties modeling their new collars and tags in their "Kitty House" in "C"s room!


Time to play cats!

Fondly,
pink and green mama, MaryLea


9 comments:

Julie Bagamary said...

These are adorable!

Julie said...

I love this idea! My girls would love it too!

kristin said...

oh my, we have the same thing going on here with DOGS. eliza proclaims almost daily that she has "more dogs than classmates." each has a name and story that we are expected to remember. especially since they are often up for adoption.

i need to get myself some shrinky dink paper.

dannyscotland said...

I think that is just adorable. As a child, I had many, many, many stuffed animals. Not all the same kind, all different. They all had names, and my mom knew the main ones, but I'm sure she had no idea about some of them. I looked forward to playing with stuffed animals with my daughter, but at age 2 she wants absolutely nothing to do with them! She has only one, her lamb that she sleeps with, that she likes. I keep hoping she will soon grow to love them...otherwise they're going to become mine! :-) (Yes, I still have a thing for stuffed animals)

Jaimie said...

This is a very cute idea. We have a large package of plain shrink plastic, and I haven't been very inspired yet with how to use it. The one thing we've done two years in a row now is make Christmas ornaments, which was pretty fun. My older daughter got a stuffed puppy for Christmas that she likes, so she might like to do this.

Cheryl B. said...

We are doing this today. We have dogs and webkins galore. DD is 10 and loved this idea. I don't have shrinky dinks but do have scrap stash of papers, punches and ribbon. She is uber excited. Thanks for the idea for using yet another snow day. We are just about crafted out of ideas.

danita said...

hey are those sharpies she is coloring on the shrinky dinks with? i thought you could only use colored pencils?

pink and green mama MaryLea said...

@ Danita -- Yes we did use Sharpies -- they work well on Shrinky Dinks, I don' t know if you can use them on the frosted kind, I recall using Colored Pencils on the frosted Shrinky Dinks when I was a kid.

xoxo
pink and green mama,
MaryLea

Beansprouts said...

what a wonderfully perfect idea! we've used foil as pet name tags, but the shrinky dink idea is not only way cuter, but leaves more room for creativity from the child and also will hold up a lot longer : )
-stephanie

Blog Archive

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...