Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Recycled Craft: Valentine Heart Boxes From Cereal Boxes


Our after school craft today... Family Valentine Boxes 
to hang on our bedroom doors, made from re-cycled cereal boxes!

My mom actually found this craft idea in a book called, Crafts for All Seasons
We decided it would be fun to make a couple of heart-shaped mail boxes for our family valentines. 



Start with a cereal or cracker box (we even used a microwave popcorn box for one)
and an adult should cut it so that one bottom corner
(along the bottom edge of the box = one side the same length)
forms the point of a heart. 

Then cut two bumps to be the top of the heart. 

This is hard to explain with words so just check out my photos and it should make sense!!


Cover your box with paper --
we used construction paper and Elmer's School Glue but you could also use gift wrap!


Let the kiddos decorate and customize their boxes...
Think: doilies, felt hearts, paper scraps,
stickers, bits of ribbon/lace, bubble wrap, foil, 
markers/crayons/twistables/etc.


We cut out paint chip samples for one of the boxes with a heart-shaped punch. 



We also used paper flowers 
that I picked up a while ago
(with great intentions of using them to make presents pretty!). 




Add a colorful ribbon handle and hang on a bedroom door knob
or on the back of a chair at the kitchen table.



Time to add some love notes, chocolates,
and valentine cards, or drawings and have fun!




Happy Valentine Crafting!

Fondly,
pink and green mama
MaryLea



16 comments:

Lilyshaw said...

What a gorgeous idea!
A great family project to do this week!

Coffee Break Mama said...

What a great idea to use the corner - they turned out great, and I love that they can hang.

Karen said...

It's Lovely!! We're going to make it!!! Thanks for the great idea!!

Buttons in a cup mama said...

Really good idea !

JavaMama said...

So fun! I love it!

Deanna said...

Very cute!

dannyscotland said...

Adorable! I will have to remember this idea for when I (someday) go back to classroom teaching.

Kristi @ Creative Connections for Kids said...

Well this is just as cute and clever as it can be! Great idea. :)

Andrea @ Addicted2Tutes said...

I love this idea - I might actually try it in my classroom for Monday's exchange. Thanks for the creative cereal box idea!

...with ♥, SB said...

What a perfect idea, and from a cereal box.. WHO KNEW! Thanks for sharing!
Also..thanks for stopping by my blog =)

maryanne @ mama smiles said...

What a fantastic idea! I know what I'll be doing with our next cereal box =)

amomwithalessonplan.com said...

What fun! I think Little M and I will to make a few of these. She loves to leave little love notes around the house!

Elle Belles Bows said...

So cute!! Thanks so much for sharing your great idea! Kerri

Tami said...

Just stopping by to let you know that I've featured your craft on Family Fun Crafts! You can see it here:
http://funfamilycrafts.com/valentines-day-heart-boxes/

If you have other kid friendly crafts, I'd love it if you would submit them. :) If you would like to display a
featured button on your site, you can grab one from the right side bar of your post above.

Melissa @ The Chocolate Muffin Tree said...

Very cute! They almost look like "lip' boxes too! Either way they are great!

Yolanda Crisostomo said...

These are just way too cute! So many different variations of decorating. I Love it!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...