Friday, March 4, 2011
* Sick Day Tradition: Special Toys
(E in bed with two of her special sick day dolls - 2005)
A dear family friend, gave each of my girls
a special Madame Alexander doll
when they were born.
She shared with me a tradition from
when she raised her own daughters.
Whenever one of her girls was sick,
they were allowed to play with their
special "sick day" doll(s)
a collectible doll that was only down from the shelf
and out of it's box to keep you company when you were sick.
We have continued this tradition
with the dolls given to my girls
along with a tiny hand-painted porcelain tea set
that was painted by my grandmother
(their great grandmother)
and a small porcelain doll
(also made by my grandmother)
who has her own little suit case full of
lovingly hand-sewn doll clothes.
The girls enjoy some quiet play on their beds
with the special "sick day dolls"
and it's a small break in the day
that does manage to cheer them up a bit
when they're feeling under the weather.
I also let them go through my shoe box
full of tiny (tissue wrapped)
glass and porcelain miniature animals
that I collected as a little girl.
Unwrapping each one is a little mystery-
like unwrapping tiny presents!
It's a special way to honor the collection
and those beautiful dolls
and to create new special memories for my own daughters.
What sick day traditions do you have
in your household?
pink and green mama
Posted by pink and green mama MaryLea
- ► 2013 (75)
- ► 2012 (164)
- * ReCycle Craft: Cardboard Box Puppet Theatre
- * Pink and Green Mama Art Studio Tour with Craftah...
- * Guest Post: Art Studio Tour for Craftaholics Ano...
- * Barbie Art Gallery With Shapescapes
- * DIY Spring Peg Dolls
- * Sensory Box: Zoo Box
- * Cardboard Rapunzel Castle: Homemade "Tangled" To...
- * Rainbow Ideas and Colorful Inspiration for St. P...
- * Peg Doll Leprechauns & St. Patrick's Day Sensory...
- * St. Patrick's Day Printmaking Project With Toile...
- * Spring Break Boredom Busters! My Insanity Blog G...
- * Mod-Podge Step Stool Makeover!
- * Birthday Party Highlights: 8th Birthday Pajama A...
- * Sick Day Tradition: Special Toys
- * Kid's Craft: Bird Mask
- ▼ March (15)
- ► 2010 (172)
- ► 2009 (161)