Monday, May 2, 2011

* Teacher Appreciation Gift: Fairy Garden Bowls



This week is Teacher Appreciation week at my daughters' schools
so the girls and I got to work this afternoon 
making Fairy Garden Bowls to give to their teachers
to say thank you for all of their hard work. 

These are the same little gardens we made for their teachers last year (see photo below).
But , (good news!) they have different teachers this year
AND.... they were a huge hit last year
so... why not recycle the project and make new ones?! 




We started with little red (plastic) salad bowls I found at Walmart
(just like the ones I found last year)! 

Then, (because they don't have drainage holes)
we put fish gravel in the bottom of the bowls.

Followed by a layer of sphagnum moss.
Then, some potting soil from our yard
with a mixture of little herbs 
(Lemon Balm, Boxwood Basil, and Marigold)


The girls painted mini wooden houses
from our craft store with acrylic craft paint and
 sealed with clear acrylic spray.

They also made little branch gnomes 
like the ones in my 

The girls wrote little notes to their teachers 
with Sharpie (permanent) markers on stones near the houses. 
"C" chose "I Love You!" for her two teachers
and "E" chose "Welcome To My Garden" for hers.


The girls used pebbles and gravel to make mini pathways in their gardens.


They also added pine cones, bits of dried moss
mini feather butterflies and birds (from our craft store stash)


These little fairy gardens would also be super cute
as little Terrariums for your favorite teacher
(or as a Mother's Day Gift!)



Here is an older post, from the archives
of the terrariums I made with the girls two years ago.


While I'm doing our mini garden show-and-tell,
here is our latest Mini Kitty Garden:


The girls also planted a little cat garden with me a few weeks ago
for our two elderly, indoor kitties,"Daisy" and "Elly."

The cat grass they planted has grown in well from seed
and the cats are enjoying little "cat grass" snacks
while they look out the window at the
squirrels, chipmunks, and bunnies in our backyard! 


Here's a link to the post for our old 


Happy Mini Gardening!

Fondly,
pink and green mama


6 comments:

Kylie said...

These are so gorgeous!

noie said...

cute.. im really like that!

dannyscotland said...

When I go back to teaching in a few years, can I have your girls in my class please?

The Little List said...

Love the mini fairy garden. What a sweet idea! We're making fairy houses during Poetic Play this week. I'll have to remember these suggestions.

grace @ahead said...

these are so cool and creative! i wish i could do one or two for my mom who's a teacher. it would be a two-way gift for her, since it's almost mother's day too! thanks for sharing!

I hope you can also check out our site at http://www.aheadinteractivetutorial.com. thanks!

Carolyn @ Mama's Little Muse said...

LOVE IT Marylea...you have such great ideas!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...