Monday, May 2, 2011
* Teacher Appreciation Gift: Fairy Garden Bowls
This week is Teacher Appreciation week at my daughters' schools
so the girls and I got to work this afternoon
making Fairy Garden Bowls to give to their teachers
to say thank you for all of their hard work.
These are the same little gardens we made for their teachers last year (see photo below).
But , (good news!) they have different teachers this year
AND.... they were a huge hit last year
so... why not recycle the project and make new ones?!
We started with little red (plastic) salad bowls I found at Walmart
(just like the ones I found last year)!
Then, (because they don't have drainage holes)
we put fish gravel in the bottom of the bowls.
Followed by a layer of sphagnum moss.
Then, some potting soil from our yard
with a mixture of little herbs
(Lemon Balm, Boxwood Basil, and Marigold)
The girls painted mini wooden houses
from our craft store with acrylic craft paint and
sealed with clear acrylic spray.
They also made little branch gnomes
like the ones in my
The girls wrote little notes to their teachers
with Sharpie (permanent) markers on stones near the houses.
"C" chose "I Love You!" for her two teachers
and "E" chose "Welcome To My Garden" for hers.
The girls used pebbles and gravel to make mini pathways in their gardens.
They also added pine cones, bits of dried moss,
mini feather butterflies and birds (from our craft store stash)
These little fairy gardens would also be super cute
as little Terrariums for your favorite teacher
(or as a Mother's Day Gift!)
Here is an older post, from the archives
of the terrariums I made with the girls two years ago.
While I'm doing our mini garden show-and-tell,
here is our latest Mini Kitty Garden:
The girls also planted a little cat garden with me a few weeks ago
for our two elderly, indoor kitties,"Daisy" and "Elly."
The cat grass they planted has grown in well from seed
and the cats are enjoying little "cat grass" snacks
while they look out the window at the
squirrels, chipmunks, and bunnies in our backyard!
Here's a link to the post for our old
Happy Mini Gardening!
pink and green mama
- ► 2013 (75)
- ► 2012 (164)
- * Easy Kid Craft: Homemade Magnets
- * Magnetic Board Child's Room Display and DIY Fash...
- * Toilet Paper Tube Craft: Target Practice!
- * Children's Backyard Fairy Garden
- * Interview and "Puppet Play" Book Giveaway!
- * Puppet Fun Preview!
- * Backyard Makeover: Kid Friendly Play Spaces
- * Pink and Green Mama Crafts: Mom Would Never Let ...
- * Cereal Box Weaving: Homemade Looms!
- * Tinkerlab Cardboard Box Challenge: Paste Paper C...
- * Homemade Mother's Day Gift Ideas Kids Can Make R...
- * Teacher Appreciation Gift: Fairy Garden Bowls
- ▼ May (12)
- ► 2010 (172)
- ► 2009 (161)