Monday, July 18, 2011
* Pine Cone Bird Craft and Pine Cone Elf Friends Craft
The girls and I are big time bird watchers around here.
Actually, our indoor kitties are too- they join us on the windowsill!
We decided to kick off Week 4 of the
Smart Summer Challenge:
Forest Friendly Week
with a fun little nature-inspired craft project using materials from mother nature herself.
The best part about this craft is that my
sweet little "C" (age 4) came up with the idea
all on her own (and it's adorable!)
First we collected some pine cones on a neighborhood walk,
our neighbor by our bus stop has the best ones for crafting!
Then, she wanted to make her favorite bird from our backyard,
a cardinal, so she painted her pine cone red
with some washable acrylic craft paint.
While the red paint was drying, she made a little face for her bird
out by drawing one with a black sharpie on a scrap of red felt.
She picked out some red feathers from our craft stash
and glued them on as wings and a tail with some
Washable Elmer's School Glue.
"Side" view of the pine cone bird with feathers glued in for wings and tail.
"Rear-end" view of the pine cone bird!
"C" working on her cardinal (very proud of herself)
Her finished birdie.
I think we'll need to make a whole little flock of these
to go with our real backyard birdie friends
(a chickadee, a blue jay, a sparrow, a cat bird, etc)
While you're at it, if you're on a roll with pine cone crafting,
They'd fit right in with some Forest Friends!
This post is part of the Smart Summer Challenge.
Check out our other hostesses,
Visit us throughout the week for fun ideas
to explore Forest Friends Week with your own kids!
Please come back and join us on Friday, July 22nd
for our weekly Smart Summer Linky,
with other parents and teachers.
You'll be entered for a chance to win a Fun Prize Pack!
Pink and Green Mama, MaryLea
- ► 2013 (75)
- ► 2012 (164)
- * Smart Summer Challenge Week 5: Water Fun Week Li...
- * Homemade Water Table - Keeping Kids Happy With W...
- * Baby Doll Washing Station
- * Make An Ocean In A Bag and More Beachy Fun Craft...
- * Smart Summer Challenge Week 4: Forest Friendly W...
- * Acorn Cap Bird Nests Craft
- * Pine Cone Bird Craft and Pine Cone Elf Friends C...
- * Scientific Explorer Day Giveaway!
- * Homemade Marshmallow Shooters and Toilet Paper T...
- * Homemade Flower and Leaf Press
- * Homemade Backyard Nature Explorer Kit!
- * Patriotic 4th of July Eye Spy Rice Bottle
- * 4th of July Patriotic Rice Sensory Box
- * Kid's Art Project: George Washington Mixed Media...
- * Smart Summer Challenge: Week One- Me On the Map ...
- ▼ July (15)
- ► 2010 (172)
- ► 2009 (161)