Wednesday, July 20, 2011
* Acorn Cap Bird Nests Craft
Here's an oldie but goodie from our archives, earlier this spring.
This little gem of a craft was
too cute and too easy to pass by.
I first saw it here at Our Day Our Journey Blog
then I saw it on another preschool blog (can't find the link -- I'm sorry!)
and knew I had to do this one with the girls.
A few days ago, one quiet afternoon while big sister was still at school,
"C" and I started making these tiny little bird nests.
We have a huge basket full of acorn caps in our art studio.
The girls and I are part squirrel --
we can't help ourselves and collect them every fall!
(Here's a quarter so you can see how small they are!)
You never know when you'll need an acorn cap for a
nature project, wooden peg fairy hat, or tiny bird nest craft!
We collected a few small pebbles from our backyard
and painted them robin's egg blue
with some washable acrylic craft paint.
Then, we put a blob of clear Elmer's glue
inside an acorn cap, added a small sprinkling
of dried moss, then another blob of clear glue
and the painted stones (tiny eggs!)
So sweet for a nature table, easter egg tree,
or tiny fairy land.
If you are wondering if this craft would be too tricky
for your own kiddos, I assure you it's super easy!
I got a phone call as soon as we glued the first nest together,
while I was talking to my friend,
"C" hopped out of her chair,
grabbed a handful of acorn caps from the basket,
and got to work painting stones,
and gluing the nests together on her own!
(That's my little independent crafty 4 year old.)
She decided each nest should only have one egg
that's why we have so many made that way
("C" made all of those by herself!)
I made the three egg nests with her.
Happy Nature Crafting.
This post is part of the Smart Summer Challenge.
Pink and Green Mama
- ► 2013 (75)
- ► 2012 (164)
- * Smart Summer Challenge Week 5: Water Fun Week Li...
- * Homemade Water Table - Keeping Kids Happy With W...
- * Baby Doll Washing Station
- * Make An Ocean In A Bag and More Beachy Fun Craft...
- * Smart Summer Challenge Week 4: Forest Friendly W...
- * Acorn Cap Bird Nests Craft
- * Pine Cone Bird Craft and Pine Cone Elf Friends C...
- * Scientific Explorer Day Giveaway!
- * Homemade Marshmallow Shooters and Toilet Paper T...
- * Homemade Flower and Leaf Press
- * Homemade Backyard Nature Explorer Kit!
- * Patriotic 4th of July Eye Spy Rice Bottle
- * 4th of July Patriotic Rice Sensory Box
- * Kid's Art Project: George Washington Mixed Media...
- * Smart Summer Challenge: Week One- Me On the Map ...
- ▼ July (15)
- ► 2010 (172)
- ► 2009 (161)