Monday, July 25, 2011
* Make An Ocean In A Bag and More Beachy Fun Craft Projects!
This post first appeared on my blog July 2009
and I thought it was perfect for this week's Smart Summer Challenge
Water Fun Week!
I love simple crafts that keep the kiddos busy during the "arsenic hour."
By "arsenic hour", I am referring to that window at our house from 5-6ish
waiting for dad to get home from work, while dinner is finishing and mama and babies are tired!
This is one of those random crafts that just popped into my head
during a recent "arsenic hour" and it was such a big hit,
I wanted to share it with all of you.
I helped each of my girls make an
Ocean In A Bag.
We grabbed two of our re-used
gallon zip lock bags
(yes I wash and save mine like my grandma washes and saves bread bags!)
Mom peace-making tip:
I labeled them with a sharpie so there wouldn't be fighting
among the girls about which one was theirs.
Then, we raided my art room stash
and found foam ocean critter stickers
(dolphins, starfish, fish, etc)
to stick inside AND outside the bag.
Then we added a
small scoop of mini seashells
(also in my stash from making ocean boxes)
Followed by a scoop of dry sand swiped from our sand table.
Then we added several pumps of white hand lotion
and a few drops of blue food coloring.
You can substitute blue hair gel! (Dep makes big bottles of it)
We zipped them shut, the girls started gently massaging their bags
and viola, instant ocean in a bag mini habitat that is also a sensory experience.
You can trace letters/shapes
in the sand goo through the plastic bag.
Be careful not to pop them (don 't leave too much air)
and sharp shell edges can rip so, I wouldn't do this on white carpet or a couch!
Kept them busy for the 45 minutes I needed harmony and peace in our home.
This was a great activity because BOTH girls (ages 6 and 2.5) could fully participate in it!
("C" adding tiny shells to her bag)
For More Beachy Fun Craft Ideas:
check out my post about how to make
a Bubble Wrap (Printmaking) Ocean Scene (November 2009)
(they'll be appearing in Family Fun Magazine soon!)
Sea Shell Mobiles Craft (May 2010) Post
You can also click here to order a set of my
Ocean Fun Art Camp Lesson Plans PDF
and host your own ocean-themed camp at home, in your classroom,
or on your next trip to the beach!
(32 Pages filled with 12 Arts and Crafts Lessons)
This post is part of the Smart Summer Challenge.
Check out our other hostesses,
Candace over at Naturally Educational
and Amy at TeachMama.com
Visit our blogs throughout the week for lots of fun ideas
to explore Water Fun Week with your own kids.
Please come back and join us on Friday, July 29th
for our weekly Smart Summer Linky party,
share YOUR own Smart Summer Challenge ideas and posts
with other parents and teachers.
You'll be entered for a chance to win a Fun Prize Pack from Guidecraft!
Pink and Green Mama
- ► 2013 (75)
- ► 2012 (164)
- * Smart Summer Challenge Week 5: Water Fun Week Li...
- * Homemade Water Table - Keeping Kids Happy With W...
- * Baby Doll Washing Station
- * Make An Ocean In A Bag and More Beachy Fun Craft...
- * Smart Summer Challenge Week 4: Forest Friendly W...
- * Acorn Cap Bird Nests Craft
- * Pine Cone Bird Craft and Pine Cone Elf Friends C...
- * Scientific Explorer Day Giveaway!
- * Homemade Marshmallow Shooters and Toilet Paper T...
- * Homemade Flower and Leaf Press
- * Homemade Backyard Nature Explorer Kit!
- * Patriotic 4th of July Eye Spy Rice Bottle
- * 4th of July Patriotic Rice Sensory Box
- * Kid's Art Project: George Washington Mixed Media...
- * Smart Summer Challenge: Week One- Me On the Map ...
- ▼ July (15)
- ► 2010 (172)
- ► 2009 (161)