Loading...

Thursday, August 11, 2011

* How To Make Elmer's Glue Rainbow Glue - ReCycle Those Half-Empty Glue Bottles!


Anyone else out there have an assortment of 
half-empty glue bottles?
I've got a fun COLORFUL project for you!




"C" asked if we could make RAINBOW Glue.
Absolutely!


We rounded up all of the half-empty glue containers
and added squirts of acrylic craft paint to them.


Then, we used bamboo wooden (shish-kabob) skewers to stir the 
paint and glue mixture.  See, it's a very scientific and technical method
we're using here! Don't ask me how much paint, just a few blobs.

NOTE: Don't try to add paint to a brand-new, super full bottle of glue!


We ended up making a whole rainbow of colored Elmer's Glue!
I see lots of fun colorful glue projects in our future : )



Grammy was over for a playdate so she joined in on the fun (she made a picture of her cat).
Big sister "E" was at Sewing Camp but I'm sure
she'll make her own colored glue picture when she gets home!


We "drew" with our glue on watercolor paper.
(you can sketch lightly with pencil first or just work "free form")



Grammy's Cat.


This one started as a Kandinsky circle and evolved into a snail!


"C"s blue and green snail for her big sister.

We set them out in the sunshine to dry for a few hours
 but if you can't do that, just  set them aside in a flat place indoors
(out of the way) and they'll dry in about a day.


Then, we used watercolors to add even more color 
to our rainbow glue masterpieces!



The super nifty part of this project is that the glue 
serves as a barrier (or mini glue wall) between your watercolor paint colors
so they don't bleed together as easily as they sometimes do!

It is much less frustrating for little ones to paint their colors 
side by side without as much muddy brown!


Check it out, orange and green playing in perfect harmony 
with no muddy brown mixture!



Rainbow Snail!


"C" (age 4) using her favorite wet-on-wet technique to blend
shades of blue for her beautiful ocean. 


"C"s Ocean with a Pink and Blue Fish.

Don't forget to leave a comment for a chance
to be entered in my 
Elmer's Glue Kid's Craft Camp Giveaway. 
I'll draw names by random generator on 
August 19, 2011 at 10 pm EST.


I'll be posting fun Elmer's crafts for 2 weeks! 
This giveaway is now closed.

Fondly,
pink and green mama, MaryLea

All opinions expressed in this post are my own.
Elmer's glue provided me and my family with a crate full of art supplies
to review and keep. I did not receive any additional compensation for this post. 

41 comments:

Wendy @ Ramblings from the Sunshine State said...

They used to sell glue like that pre-colored when I was a kid. I loved that stuff!

Anonymous said...

Prob would also work with modpodge...cool

Kayla said...

I love this idea!! Gonna have to try!

Heather said...

I love it! Makes me actually want to buy lots of little bottles of glue rather than two little ones and one giant one to refill with! Glue always has been B's favorite medium! We will have to try this soon.

Nokomis said...

love idea of using the watercolor after it dries. it's such a frustrating medium for kids to work in!

Karen said...

This is fabulous!!!!! It is yet another of your great ideas that I want to try!

Thank you for sharing all your creativity!

Erika said...

Oh Thank you! What a fabulous way to use up the glue. My girls will love this :)

Leslie said...

I love this idea! how fun!

Shari said...

love love love!! :)

N. said...

This is one of those things where you slap your forehead and say "duh, why didn't I think of that?" Brilliant!

Anonymous said...

What a great idea! Makes me want to find a place to pour out some glue to mix up colored glue!

Linda said...

I'm going to have to try this idea...so fun!

Janet said...

We've been having lots of fun doing crayon and craypas watercolor resist lately.

I can't wait to try glue resist. No more muddied colors? Hurray!

Louisa said...

What fun! I love the pictures you made.

Elissa said...

Love it! (As always.)

pink and green mama MaryLea said...

@ Heather -- I love the idea of just making a set of mini bottles! They're easier for little hands too : )

-MaryLea

Paige said...

Great idea!

Kathy said...

What a cool idea! Watercolor resist with oil pastels or crayon is such a hit here that I know we'll have fun with this technique, both with the pretty colors and with the black stained glass effect!

Mom to 2 Posh Lil Divas said...

This looks like so much FUN! I am going to save our bottles and make Rainbow glue as soon as possible! LOVE this idea

sunnymum said...

Love the idea of creating a colored glue picture and then painting on it when it dries. My kids enjoy multi-stepped projects.
cbeargie at yahoo dot com

Alicia C. said...

We recently did something similar. We colored our glue with food colors and painted rocks outside. The only problem we had was, when it rained, the paint washed away. Next time, I'll coat them with something to protect from the rain!

Jennifer said...

I love that. Storing it away in my mental file cabinet. Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

I love this idea! Can't wait to try it. Thanks for sharing.

Stacey said...

I love all of your art ideas, but I'm afraid that my autistic son doesn't like anything that has the chance of getting him dirty. Whenever we use his paints I spend the entire time washing off any smears that get on his fingers. Hopefully as he gets older he will be more willing to try these things.

gkbccb said...

loving this!

Andrea said...

This looks really fun. I can't wait to try this out! Thank you.

The Activity Mom said...

Can't wait to try this! I'm going to get some bottles of glue while they are on sale for back to school time. =)
thanks!

Casey said...

My daughter is rainbow crazy, and yes, we have tons of half used glue bottles. Perfect!

Diane said...

What a great idea!!! Can't wait to try it with my 3 yr old twins!

Bonnie said...

I just bought some small bottles for my little guy's pencil case - I may have to buy a few more and make him and his you ber brother some colorful glue!! They will love this activity and it's a great fine motor activity for strengthening those little fingers!! thanks for sharing your colorful creations!

Unknown said...

I had forgotten that you could make glue a rainbow of colors! Thanks for the reminder! My daughter loves to paint with glue...she'll enjoy the colors!

Jen said...

I love this idea. The art projects turned out great.

jackie Currie said...

Wow!! This is brilliant! What a fun activity and the results are gorgeous!

Lois said...

what a wonderful idea. "C" is truly an artist. Can't wait to see her work in the future.

ktbird8 said...

What a great idea! And so glad I found your blog, lots of fun ideas!

janette said...

So glad I found this, I just aquired a gallon of elmers from a family member, knowing it would be great for something..
MANY THINGS!!

SandaJean said...

Love the idea of coloring left over glue!!! Can't wait for all the paint I purchased from back to school sales to run low!!! Thanks!

Renee said...

This idea is really awesome!! I love all the bright colors and also it is eco-friendly! Thanks so much for sharing!

Karenda said...

Such great ideas - I was thinking of having a Rainbow Birthday Party for my youngest daughter. I wanted to tie dye, but was worried since she is only going to be 2. I'm sure she and her friends could make dots.

Sugar Mommy said...

MaryLea--

Would tempera paint work, or does it need to be acrylic?

Thanks for the cool ideas!

pink and green mama MaryLea said...

@ Sugar Mommy -- Acrylic paint is basically plastic which is why once it's dry you can soak it in water and it won't wash away. You can even heat set it with an iron. Tempera paint is water-soluble and will wash away during the soak off the glue stage of the process! Stick with the acrylic.

Fondly,
MaryLea

Blog Archive

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...