Thursday, August 25, 2011
* Melted Disney Princess Crayon Rainbow Canvas!
After making our melted crayon rainbow,
"C" announced that she wanted one for her room too.
I remembered this stash of Princess Crayons
(from our trip to Disney World three years ago).
They were never very fun to color with
which is why we had them leftover... now I know why,
they're made out of some kind of weird, harder wax than the crayola crayons.
I started out by gluing them to the top of our canvas (14" x14" square with wrapped edges)
with my glue gun. Had to use a lot of extra glue to secure them on the back
since they're molded figurines on top and I didn't want their heads to break off!
Then, we propped up the canvas on a stool in the art studio
and I got out my embossing (heat) gun from my stamping stash.
This was easier and faster to use than the hair dryer we used on the other project -
it also seemed to "splatter" less because the heat and air are more directed.
Open a window, this step is fumey.
See what I mean about weirdo wax?!
It's thick and clumpy and doesn't spread out! Ugh!
I started to panic that it wasn't going to work and thought the princesses looked
weird with their crayon stump bottoms!
So... to help spread the wax I grabbed a plastic gift card/hotel key
from my stash and used it to spread the hot wax with downward strokes -
like you're spreading frosting on a cake.
The plastic melts/warps a bit from the heat so you might want to use
a metal, artist's palette knife if you have one handy.
Although the princess stumps do still look a bit weird - sort of like they are pooping rainbows...
Um, oh well. The girls like it, so I guess we'll call it done!
So there you have it, our two melty rainbow crayon canvases.
"E"'s traditional crayon rainbow and "C"'s princess crayon rainbow.
Happy Rainbow Making!
Fondly, Pink and Green Mama
- ► 2013 (75)
- ► 2012 (164)
- * ReCycle Craft: Milk Carton Weaving!
- * ReCycle Craft: Paper Cup Weaving!
- * Melted Disney Princess Crayon Rainbow Canvas!
- * Make a Melted RAINBOW Crayon Canvas!
- * Elmer's Back To School Giveaway!
- * Permanent Marker and Watercolor Resist Weaving
- * Permanent Marker and Rubbing Alcohol Technique f...
- * Elmer's Gel Glue Batik Aprons
- * How To Make Elmer's Glue Rainbow Glue - ReCycle ...
- * Black Glue and Watercolor Resist: How To Make Bl...
- * Foam Core Puppet Theatre With Elmer's Kids Craft...
- * Elmer's Kids Craft Camp Giveaway Week!
- * Smart Summer Challenge Week 6 Final Super, Doope...
- * Outer Space Themed Sensory Box
- * Outer Space Planet Counting Plates and Preschool...
- * Out Of This World Homemade Outer Space Bean Bags...
- * Homemade Outer Space Felt Board and Felt Build A...
- * Splatter Paint and Watercolor Outer Space Pictur...
- ▼ August (18)
- ► 2010 (172)
- ► 2009 (161)