Tuesday, August 23, 2011
* Make a Melted RAINBOW Crayon Canvas!
made one of these Rainbow Crayon Canvases with her kids this week
and it was love at first sight for me.
Rumor has it, that these have been all over Pinterest this summer
but I've been playing with my kids and had no idea what we were missing out on!
So, instead of starting dinner on Thursday night, we made this instead!
The girls helped pick colors and lined them up in order
but the rest of the project was pretty much done by me while they watched
and had a dance party in the art studio.
We started by lining up crayons along the top of a square canvas
(from our craft supply stash) to figure out our spectrum order
and to see how many we'd need. (dark photos = crafting at dinner time)
The canvas is 14" x 14" with wrapped edges.
I used my glue gun on high heat and glued the crayons down
with their color names showing.
Once all of the crayons were glued down it was time to start melting!
I propped up the canvas against a stool in the art studio and put a newspaper
down on the floor underneath to catch any drips.
I used my hairdryer on high heat (but low blowing)
and it melts them but it takes FOR-EVER.
Also, you have to play with it because the blowing air
splatters the wax if you're not careful!
Once the colors really started melting, I used the hair dryer
to heat up the canvas on the back side and get the big blobs of wax
to run all the way down to the bottom of the canvas.
RAINBOW = LOVE
I wish I'd had one of these to hang up in my art classroom,
it would have been awesome with my color wheel clock!
I love the way it looks like a Morris Louis painting!
"E" wants to hang this one in her room.
I'll show you the even girlier version we made
for her little sister's room in my next post! : )
A special thank you to my friend Meg for inspiring such a fun, COLORFUL project!
pink and green mama
- ► 2013 (75)
- ► 2012 (164)
- * ReCycle Craft: Milk Carton Weaving!
- * ReCycle Craft: Paper Cup Weaving!
- * Melted Disney Princess Crayon Rainbow Canvas!
- * Make a Melted RAINBOW Crayon Canvas!
- * Elmer's Back To School Giveaway!
- * Permanent Marker and Watercolor Resist Weaving
- * Permanent Marker and Rubbing Alcohol Technique f...
- * Elmer's Gel Glue Batik Aprons
- * How To Make Elmer's Glue Rainbow Glue - ReCycle ...
- * Black Glue and Watercolor Resist: How To Make Bl...
- * Foam Core Puppet Theatre With Elmer's Kids Craft...
- * Elmer's Kids Craft Camp Giveaway Week!
- * Smart Summer Challenge Week 6 Final Super, Doope...
- * Outer Space Themed Sensory Box
- * Outer Space Planet Counting Plates and Preschool...
- * Out Of This World Homemade Outer Space Bean Bags...
- * Homemade Outer Space Felt Board and Felt Build A...
- * Splatter Paint and Watercolor Outer Space Pictur...
- ▼ August (18)
- ► 2010 (172)
- ► 2009 (161)