Monday, August 1, 2011
* Splatter Paint and Watercolor Outer Space Picture Project
I decided to kick off Outer Space week
with a fun art lesson I used to do with my elementary school students!
We made our own Outer Space Mixed Media picture.
First, I set up "C" with some watercolor paper.
We traced some circle shapes by tracing around
play-dough lids, coins, and various cups in the art studio.
Then, she got to work painting cool planets.
It's more fun to make up your own but you could
try to make a scale model of space and our solar system
if you wanted to get all scientific.
She really enjoyed using the "wet on wet" technique
for some cool planet effects!
While the watercolor planets were drying,
we headed out into the yard to make our "stars" in outer space.
Equipped with a shallow dish of white paint,
an old toothbrush, and some black construction paper.
I showed "C" how to dip her tooth brush in the white paint
and flick/splatter the paint onto the black paper.
Note: Point the bristles DOWN to the paper, not up
or you'll get paint freckles on your face!
The various white flecks and splatters of paint look like stars!
Then, it was time to cut out the planets
and start gluing them onto her outer space background.
She used an Elmer's Glue glue stick (our favorite)
to glue down all of her planets.
Close-up of splatter stars and colorful planets!
Ta-da, an out of this world picture!
This post is part of the Smart Summer Challenge.
Check out our other hostesses,
Visit our blogs throughout the week for lots of fun ideas
to explore Outer Space Fun Week with your own kids.
This is our final week of the Smart Summer Challenge
Please come back and join us on Friday, August 5th
for our weekly Smart Summer Linky party,
share YOUR own Smart Summer Challenge ideas and posts
with other parents and teachers.
You'll be entered for a chance to win a our biggest Prize Pack of the summer!
Pink and Green Mama, MaryLea
- ► 2013 (75)
- ► 2012 (164)
- * ReCycle Craft: Milk Carton Weaving!
- * ReCycle Craft: Paper Cup Weaving!
- * Melted Disney Princess Crayon Rainbow Canvas!
- * Make a Melted RAINBOW Crayon Canvas!
- * Elmer's Back To School Giveaway!
- * Permanent Marker and Watercolor Resist Weaving
- * Permanent Marker and Rubbing Alcohol Technique f...
- * Elmer's Gel Glue Batik Aprons
- * How To Make Elmer's Glue Rainbow Glue - ReCycle ...
- * Black Glue and Watercolor Resist: How To Make Bl...
- * Foam Core Puppet Theatre With Elmer's Kids Craft...
- * Elmer's Kids Craft Camp Giveaway Week!
- * Smart Summer Challenge Week 6 Final Super, Doope...
- * Outer Space Themed Sensory Box
- * Outer Space Planet Counting Plates and Preschool...
- * Out Of This World Homemade Outer Space Bean Bags...
- * Homemade Outer Space Felt Board and Felt Build A...
- * Splatter Paint and Watercolor Outer Space Pictur...
- ▼ August (18)
- ► 2010 (172)
- ► 2009 (161)