Sunday, January 8, 2012
* Alcohol Ink on Polymer Clay Embossed Pendant Tiles
This is one of those ideas that popped into my head randomly.
It was one of my "I wonder if this would actually work?" ideas...
turns out it did and does.
First we rolled out some white polymer clay
(Sculpey or Fimo from the craft store) and
rolled paper doilies into the clay to create lacy impressions.
We cut out shapes by hand with clay knife,
you could use cookie cutters too but ours seem to have disappeared!
We made small holes in the clay shapes so they could be
strung later as necklaces or hung on ribbon as ornaments.
We baked them in the oven according to the package directions
and allowed them to cool.
The next day, "E" (age 8.5) and I used my Adirondak brand alcohol inks
to dye the ornaments. This wasn't a project for her little sister "C" (age 4.)
They're messy and they stain everything,
"E" had the genius idea for us to wear surgical gloves.
I've been wanting to play with these inks ever since I first saw them
They're so fun and we plan to use them on future projects!
My first medallion in progress...
"E" working on one of her many (beautiful) tiles.
She's a natural and came up with the prettiest color combinations.
"E" manipulating the ink on a clay tile with a small paintbrush.
Also her technique/idea. We didn't read any tutorials or instructions,
we just kind of jumped in head first! : )
We worked on trays with paper towels so we wouldn't stain the table.
These inks permanently stain non-porous surfaces so you have to use them with caution.
Our finished pendants, ready to string as necklaces or ornaments.
So many possibilities, I think you could have fun with
other stamps or letters to make embossed tags.
pink and green mama
- ► 2013 (75)
- * Quick and Easy Valentine's Day Kid's Craft: Make...
- * Valentine's Day Craft: Re-Cycled Card Basket
- * Imaginative Play: Valentine Shop in our Playroom...
- * Valentine's Day Themed Sensory Rice Box With Sce...
- * Kid-Friendly Spaces and Toy Storage Solutions In...
- * Chinese New Year Paper Lantern Craft and Japanes...
- * Playing With Blocks
- * Birdseed Cakes
- * Cut Paper Dragons for Chinese New Year: Easy Kid...
- * Sick Day Craftivity: Decorate a Tissue Box
- * Clay Impression Buttons
- * Craft With Your Pets: "Paint For Cats" App Homem...
- * Letter Writing Center
- * Giveaway: Playful Learning Spaces E-Course with ...
- * Giveaway: Artterro Art Dolls Eco Art Kit
- * Alcohol Ink on Polymer Clay Embossed Pendant Til...
- * Just Hanging Around Fun Photo Bookmarks!
- *Penguin Birthday Party Igloo Fort
- * Homemade Search and Find, Walter Wick Inspired I...
- ▼ January (19)
- ► 2011 (152)
- ► 2010 (172)
- ► 2009 (161)