Loading...

Friday, May 4, 2012

* "Oh, the Places You'll Go!" School Year Memory Book Tradition



Here is another great idea I found on Pinterest.
Lisa's Workshop blog shared this great idea and it was so easy, I had to do it too!
I was Pinspired!

At the end of each school year, she secretly asks her child's teacher 
to sign the inside cover of a copy of  Dr. Seuss' "Oh, the Places You'll Go!" 

I loved the idea so much that I pinned this earlier in the year 
and purchased a second copy of the book,
we already had one copy on our book shelves.

Armed with a copy for each daughter, I got to work.


I glued a preschool photo of each of the girls inside her own book with her name and the year. 


Then, I glued a small piece of paper to the back inside cover of the book
with the year she'll graduate from high school. We'll add that photo when each girl is a senior.

I packed up the books in manilla envelopes with a note explaining what I was up to. 
I asked each teacher to write a quick note to my daughter and sign their name
and the year or grade they taught 
and I thanked them profusely for teaching my children 
and for helping with such a special project! 

We secretly circulated the book around to all of their teachers,
since I only started the book this year I had to go back and contact
each of their previous teachers - I even took them to their preschools and got 
those teachers in on it! 

It has been so heart warming to read the kind words my daughter's 
wonderful teachers have inscribed to them.
Geoff and I had tears in our eyes when we read the notes.
It will be so special for the girls to read all of these nice
words of encouragement when they embark on their future journeys
when they graduate from high school. 
In the meantime, I'm just storing their books inside our school memory file boxes
and trying my best to keep it a secret!

Happy Memory Making!

Fondly,
Pink and Green Mama


I'm Topsy Turvy

18 comments:

Renee said...

I started this last year for my daughter. I store ours in my stashed gift bin. :)

Anonymous said...

That's such an amazing idea. I hope I remember this when I have children of my own.

Anonymous said...

c'est vraiment super!! je vais faire a mes enfants !! c'est un trés bon souvenir !!

pink and green mama MaryLea said...

Merci Beaucoup! : )

Carla said...

Hi MaryLea! I am a huge fan of your blog and fabulously creative ideas. This is a fantastic idea for an end-of-the-year gift to give students....a tradition I might start when I finally go back to work!

pink and green mama MaryLea said...

Thanks Carla!

toeturtle said...

I absolutely LOVE this idea. I am tearing up just thinking about doing this (and I'm not an emotional person). I have a couple more years till my daughter starts school, but I MUST remember this!

Raising a Happy Child said...

Oh, how timely! I really like this idea, and I would love to make this special keepsake for my daughter as well.

cherylblackwell.blogspot.com said...

Do the teachers write in the book or add their own notes?

pink and green mama MaryLea said...

@ Cheryl,

The teachers write their own notes on the inside cover of the book - just a sentence or two, their name, grade, and the year.

The notes are heartfelt and really sweet.

Fondly,
MaryLea

Marcia said...

That's a great idea! I'll have to do that!

Dawn Grobe said...

Jackson finishes his third and final year at the Infant/Toddler Center this year. I am going to ask his beloved teacher to do this for him. Thank you for the brilliant idea!

Growing a Jeweled Rose said...

I absolutely love this idea! What a very meaningful graduation gift to receive. I will definitely be starting a collection for my girls.

Michele {The Scrap Shoppe} said...

That is so sweet! I really want to try to remember to do this or something similar when my boys start school. I love that you went back to find old teachers! :)

Spur Cross Stables said...

I came across your blog from Pinterest and I have to say this is a great idea. Hopefully crossing fingers, I'll have a child of my own to do this. Love it!!!

Lisa Graham said...

I love the idea of adding the pictures!! Thanks for sharing!

Chelsea Simmons said...

What was the message that the K teacher wrote? I was asked to do this by a parent, and I'm just trying to get ideas :) Thank you!

Love this idea!

pink and green mama MaryLea said...

HI Chelsea,

The Kindergarten teacher wrote: "I loved having you in my Kindergarten class this year! You were always a ray of sunshine. I can't wait to watch you grow up into the wonderful woman I know you will become. Love, Mrs. P"

Other comments over the years included

"you were a good friend to all"
" I loved having you in my class"
"You are my little artist, I loved having you in my class"
"You are going to go many exciting places. Please keep in touch and let me know what you are up to, I can't wait to see what you will do!"
"I love your sense of humor, intelligence, and happy spirit!"
"You have grown in so many ways, I can't wait to see what the future holds for you. I am so proud of you!"

Hope this helps!
Warmly,
Pink and Green Mama, MaryLea

Blog Archive

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...