Loading...

Wednesday, June 27, 2012

* Summer Wish Flags (Summer To-Do List Modified)


The girls and I really enjoyed making our giant watercolor 
but wanted to make something different this year...

I was thinking about Tibetan Prayer flags during my meditation class.
I thought this project would be a fun and meaningful way for the girls 
to incorporate their summer hopes, wishes, and dreams 
into something beautiful and symbolic for our backyard. 

I'm not a fan of so-called "bucket lists" 
I feel they imply a "hurry up and cross everything off your list 
before you die" concept that is depressing to me
 and makes me feel like people are in too big of a rush
getting through the list to actually be living in the moment. 

I think this year in particular after losing my dear friend to cancer last month
and watching some other friends struggling with health issues, I wanted 
to go in a different direction with the girls and our Summer Fun list. 


First we brainstormed ideas for what our 
hopes, dreams, and wishes for this summer are...
"E" and I wrote everything down on a scrap of cardboard. 


We had this garden flag leftover in our craft room stash 
from making garden flags at our 
 (full instructions for our garden flag project is in my Backyard Fun ebook
Easy = muslin squares cut with pinking shears and stitched to a ribbon!


"E" wrote down the words from our list onto the flags, when 
she got tired of writing on fabric, she roped me into helping her. 
It ended up being a joint-project. 


To keep the permanent markers from bleeding all over the flags
and to help preserve the oil pastel drawings - we sprayed the flag
with a bit of clear sealant spray paint- it helps preserve the flags outdoors. 


The cardboard helps to protect the table from the permanent markers. 


Summer Wish Flags in progress...


"E" has awesome school teacher handwriting.
Love the dots on "F-U-N" I used to do that too when I was her age.


Our wish flags tied up on the side of our deck,
ready to carry our hopes and dreams for summer in a lovely summer breeze.



Happy Summer 
Wishing, Hoping, and Dreaming!




Fondly,
Pink and Green Mama, MaryLea

I linked up and shared this post here. 

5 comments:

Jen said...

MaryLea-
Such a wonderful post. Thank you for this. Last year, I felt like I had to do everything on our list or I was failing at being the fun mother- it was more stressful than fun. I want to give my kids many different experiences, but it doesn't have to all be done in one summer. Enjoying life with them is better. Blessings,
Jen

Lisa said...

these are so pretty! and inspiring! i am sorry for your loss. art is always healing!
happy summer
lisa

pink and green mama MaryLea said...

Jen -- Yes! No need to feel like a parenting failure because of a giant summer to-do list hanging over your head. It's better to just enjoy your time off and see where the summer takes you!

-ML

pink and green mama MaryLea said...

Thanks Lisa for your kind words, they mean a lot to me, my friend's name was Lisa too.

xoxo
ML

Kelly at Little Wonders' Days said...

Oh my goodness, this is a crazy cute way to do a summer bucket list and what a great memory for later years. I'm so glad you linked these lists up to the party.

Blog Archive

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...