Wednesday, June 27, 2012
* Summer Wish Flags (Summer To-Do List Modified)
The girls and I really enjoyed making our giant watercolor
but wanted to make something different this year...
I was thinking about Tibetan Prayer flags during my meditation class.
I thought this project would be a fun and meaningful way for the girls
to incorporate their summer hopes, wishes, and dreams
into something beautiful and symbolic for our backyard.
I'm not a fan of so-called "bucket lists"
I feel they imply a "hurry up and cross everything off your list
before you die" concept that is depressing to me
and makes me feel like people are in too big of a rush
getting through the list to actually be living in the moment.
I think this year in particular after losing my dear friend to cancer last month
and watching some other friends struggling with health issues, I wanted
to go in a different direction with the girls and our Summer Fun list.
First we brainstormed ideas for what our
hopes, dreams, and wishes for this summer are...
"E" and I wrote everything down on a scrap of cardboard.
We had this garden flag leftover in our craft room stash
from making garden flags at our
(full instructions for our garden flag project is in my Backyard Fun ebook)
Easy = muslin squares cut with pinking shears and stitched to a ribbon!
"E" wrote down the words from our list onto the flags, when
she got tired of writing on fabric, she roped me into helping her.
It ended up being a joint-project.
To keep the permanent markers from bleeding all over the flags
and to help preserve the oil pastel drawings - we sprayed the flag
with a bit of clear sealant spray paint- it helps preserve the flags outdoors.
The cardboard helps to protect the table from the permanent markers.
Summer Wish Flags in progress...
"E" has awesome school teacher handwriting.
Love the dots on "F-U-N" I used to do that too when I was her age.
Our wish flags tied up on the side of our deck,
ready to carry our hopes and dreams for summer in a lovely summer breeze.
Wishing, Hoping, and Dreaming!
Last year's Summer Fun Wish List:
Pink and Green Mama, MaryLea
I linked up and shared this post here.
- ► 2013 (75)
- * Tiny Tooth Fairy Package and Letter From Leafcut...
- * Summer Wish Flags (Summer To-Do List Modified)
- * Catching Fireflies Review and Giveaway!
- * Happy Birthday Eric Carle! Hungry Caterpillar Co...
- * Mouse Painting With Cotton Balls and Q-Tips insp...
- * Painted Rainbow Doily Bag Tutorial
- * Scissor Practice - Paper Cutting Box
- * I'm A Melissa and Doug Camp Sunny Patch Honor Co...
- * Color Your Own Coloring Book With Ikea Bird Fabr...
- * Artsy Crafty Goodness Around Our House This Past...
- * Organizing Paper In The Art Studio and Craft Roo...
- * Homemade Father's Day Gift - Backrub T-Shirt
- * Ice Cream Theme Sensory Box
- * Wrapping Up Another School Year - Help Your Chil...
- * Celebrating The End Of The School Year!
- ▼ June (15)
- ► 2011 (152)
- ► 2010 (172)
- ► 2009 (161)