Wednesday, July 25, 2012
* Homemade Gift: Embroidered Map Going Away Gift
My brother-in-law and sister-in-law are moving out of the state.
They're moving back to my sister-in-law's hometown.
We had a farewell dinner Friday night and I gave them this going away gift.
A homemade gift from the heart, to remember us across the miles
and know that we're thinking about them.
It's also a nice reminder for my niece and nephew about their
Aunt MaryLea, Uncle Geoff, and their crazy cousins!
I started with a frame I found at Michaels.
Then, I printed out a map of Virginia and a map of Ohio
(use whatever state or place is meaningful to you)
from a google images search. I printed the maps on natural colored
vellum paper to make them look more "map like"
If you had real street maps that would be awesome but I didn't so I had to improvise.
I cut out the shape of each state out of the maps
(they're not perfect or accurate and they don't need to be.)
For the state shapes I googled "printable state maps"
as a google images search to find the right shapes.
Because I didn't want the paper to rip when I sewed it,
I pre-punched holes with a straight pin on a piece of folded over felt
(to act as a little pillow behind the paper while I pierced it.)
BTW, this is a map I tried to use but didn't because it didn't look right.
Then, to protect the map from ripping while I sewed it,
I backed it with a small piece of clear packing tape.
I hand-stitched a heart shape on each map with some red embroidery floss.
Here's the back of my messy heart.
When the two states were finished, I mounted them to a piece of blue
scrapbooking paper with some double sided tape.
At a farewell picnic/party last weekend, I asked a good friend to take a
photo of our two families together.
I printed it out and added it to the middle of the frame.
Here's the finished project.
Todd and Darb, we will miss you terribly
but know you're off on a wonderful new adventure.
Here's to new beginnings.
We'll be road-tripping to visit you soon!
- ► 2013 (75)
- * Tissue Paper Pulp "Painting" (or making paper wi...
- * Homemade Gift: Embroidered Map Going Away Gift
- * Make Your Own Comic Book - Homemade Comics In Th...
- * Homemade Erasers With Eraser Clay
- * Curvy Board, Waldorf Rocker Board Review
- * Improving Your Child's Fine Motor Skills With Pl...
- * Life-Sized Body Maps Mixed Media Craftivity
- * Storybook Summer Craftivity with A Bad Case Of T...
- * Explore and Play With Waterbeads As A Sensory Ma...
- * Blog Organizer Notebook
- * Giveaway Winners!
- * Camp Sunny Patch Icy Pirate Boats Project!
- * 4th of July Sifted Flour Stars Front Lawn Decora...
- ▼ July (13)
- ► 2011 (152)
- ► 2010 (172)
- ► 2009 (161)