Loading...

Monday, September 10, 2012

* Leave A "Space" Writing Sticks For Kindergarten


I shared with you the fun I had helping my friend set up her 
kindergarten classroom this year. 
Now, I'm going to share another little project I made for her classroom. 
The kids in her kindergarten classroom use popsicle sticks to 
learn how to leave a "space" between words while they are writing 
on big sentence paper. Last year, she had sticks with a simple astronaut glued
on them - the concept was good but they weren't very cute (no offense, Mrs. P).

We're going for cute this year 
so, I asked if I could give them a makeover. 

I started with a batch of popsicle sticks 
that I painted with black acrylic craft paint 
(paint both sides - take turns and let it dry).
I did not take a photo of this step = boring.

After both sides had good coverage and were completely dry, 
I used a white out pen to add stars - you could also flick the sticks
with an old toothbrush dipped in white paint
like we did for our 


Then, I printed out Space Shuttle pictures found and reduced from 
Google Images - cut them out carefully and glued them to the sticks
with a few layers of Mod Podge.


Oh Mod Podge, how I love thee. 


While the Mod Podge was still wet, I added a sprinkle of silver glitter
for bling and a spacey star effect! 


The finished sticks look great and Mrs. P was thrilled
with her new leave a "SPACE" sticks! 


Fondly,
Pink and Green Mama


Follow Me on Facebook.
Follow Me on Pinterest.
Follow Me on Instagram. 


5 comments:

My Boys' Teacher said...

Brilliant! Pinned this!

Twocutegirls said...

What a great idea! I'll be making my kindergartener one for sure. Right now, she likes to put hyphens between her words...or hearts! :)

Michelle said...

Just what I was looking for-we'll definitely be making these tomorrow!

Angell @ Passionate and Creative Homemaking said...

What a cool idea! My son struggles with that. He's now in second grade so I wonder if I can make him one using a regular size Popsicle stick? Hmmm...

Partycraft Secrets said...

I love this idea - my daughter is a preschooler - but we've just begun the writing stage and I've resorted to "start a new line" because the "leave a space" has been too hard to explain - you've just solved my problem - I'm pinning this and sharing it on facebook today:
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Partycraft-Secrets/239045209469228

Blog Archive

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...