Sunday, December 2, 2012

* Winter Craft: Snowflake Printmaking Project Using Found Objects




This project can be found in my Winter Fun eBook.
It was an art lesson I used to teach to my preschoolers and kindergarten students.
It's a bit messy but manageable, quick to do, and the results are beautiful!

For this project you will need:

* Square Paper (we use black and blue) cut into 12"x12" or 9"x9" squares 
(hint: scrapbook paper comes in these sizes!)

* White washable tempera or acrylic craft paint and a plate or dish

* Found Objects: Popsicle sticks, empty thread/ribbon spools, 
foam shapes/beads, bottle caps, toothpicks, buttons, etc. 


1. Start by dipping a popsicle stick in your white paint on the skinny edge. 
Make a print (line) by pressing the skinny, painted edge of the stick
onto your paper to create 4 lines making a "plus" or "T" shape. 
Then, print four more lines to create an "X" shape. 
See photo below. 



2. Dip objects into paint and begin printing your snowflake by 
stamping each shape onto each line, one at a time. 
Work your way around the design, systematically printing shapes on each "spoke" 
of the snowflake. 

3. Repeat with different shapes and patterns until
you have created a design that makes you happy. 
You will need to dip your shapes into the paint to "re-ink" several times. 

Hint: Keep a rag, washcloth, or baby wipe nearby to clean up messy hands and fingers!





Even big sister likes to make these! 
Fun for your whole family or classroom.


No two snowflakes will be alike - just like real ones!
Make as many as you wish, when they are dry hang up and display.



Happy Winter Printmaking!

For More Winter Fun Check out my Winter Fun Ebook here!


Warmly,
Pink and Green Mama
MaryLea


4 comments:

Ticia said...

Ooohhhh, my kids would love this :)

Jamy said...

May I just say how amazing I think you are? You have so many FANTASTIC, and ORIGINAL ideas. My mom was a Kinder teacher for many years and I have oh so many art/craft books. Plus there's pinterest.. But honestly, I ADORE your projects! I look forward to making them even more than my kids, I think!!!! So thanks for getting us crafting some awesome stuff!

pink and green mama MaryLea said...

Thank you Jamy! You just made my WHOLE morning with your sweet note!!

: )
xoxo
MaryLea

Barn Owl Primitives said...

Love this MaryLea! I see lots of unique and creative snowflakes in our future!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...