Loading...

Thursday, January 24, 2013

* Snow Day Play: Make Ice Animal Balls with Balloons and Water.



Temperatures have been in the teens and twenties all week
and we finally got our first snow last night. 
We needed some fun winter distraction to fight cabin fever
and decided to take advantage of the freezing outdoor temperatures. 

"E" brainstormed this idea yesterday afternoon and I went along with it.
She's my partner in crafty-fun-crime!


We raided the birthday party decoration box for some balloons in less-desirable colors. 
Then we carefully inserted some small plastic toys inside them.
I held the opening of the balloon apart while my daughter slipped in each toy.
Then, we used the sink to fill them (just like making water balloons.)

I would be lying if I told you we stayed dry --
two different times we didn't get the balloon hooked onto the faucet correctly
and ended up spraying the whole bathroom and ourselves!
(and the poor dog because she has to be wherever we are)

After mopping up the bathroom (twice!) 
we set our water balloons out on the deck to freeze overnight.


This morning, after breakfast, we peeled off the balloons on two of our 
ice balls and took them upstairs for some bathtub play. 
We're planning to unwrap the rest in the next day or two.

They're really lovely -- like handblown glass paperweights. 
I can think of all kinds of beautiful things to freeze in these balloons 
including real or fake flowers and leaves, 
small insects, buttons and marbles, etc.

The girls love them and they were a fun and easy snow day activity!


Stay warm my friends!

Fondly,
Pink and Green Mama
MaryLea

8 comments:

Crafty Homeschool Mama said...

love it! Me and my little crafting-partner-in-fun want to try them too. I've seen larger ones done before but these are so manageable. great idea to bring them in to the tub :)

Lost in Sicily said...

This is such a great idea! I have seen other versions of freezing things in ice, but the balloon adds an extra element of surprise! thanks for sharing this fun idea

arya273 said...

Hey,

Great idea! While we live in a country where we can't freeze anything outside (unless we go to the Himalayas) this is something that we could do in the summer when temperatures reach a searing 40 degrees centigrade with the freezer being a useful helper :-)

Vic Lau said...

What a creative and super fun idea!! I must try this!

Groovewoman said...

Hey MaryLea,
Do you have a Blog Button? I had one for you & while changing things around accidentally deleted the code and now I can't find it on here to replace it. HELP! :)

Thanks,
Hollie (aka: Groovewoman)

Groovewoman said...

Got your message on my blog... but didn't get the email. I'll try to connect with you on FB! :)
~Hollie

Court said...

Looks like such fun. Think Id have to leave ours in the freezer.... Texas ain't got no cold!

Les Créateliers said...

Hi!
What a cool activity! I featured it on my website, you can see the page here: http://www.lescreateliers.com/Les_Createliers/Idees_Ideas/Entries/2013/2/24_Boules_de_glace_a_surpriseSurprise_ice_balls.html
Cheers!
Marie-Eve

Blog Archive

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...