Loading...

Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Recycled Crown Craft Inspired By Oz The Great And Powerful #DisneyOzMovie

Sponsored Post Disclosure: I have been compensated for this post, however all opinions are my own and truthful. 
This post does contain paid links. 


This is the crown I would want to wear on my adventure in the Land of Oz!


 When my girls and I watched trailers for the movie,  Oz The Great And Powerful,
they fell in love with the beautiful witch, Glinda, and her magical golden crown.
This craft was perfectly timed to coincide with the release of the Blu-Ray Combo Pack!
They asked if I could make them one for playing dress-up and I knew I had the perfect material in my craft room stash for it -- cardboard coffee cup sleeves!
I always save materials that seem like they would be useful as craft supplies.
The best ones are freebies like colorful plastic lids, nifty jam jars, and in this case,
cardboard drink sleeves. Hoarding recyclables and art supplies goes back to my art teacher days.


Just look at how beautiful those corrugated inside pieces are?! 
I opened up several sleeves and cut out petal shapes with a pair of scissors. 


Then, I took them outside and covered them with some Krylon Metallic Gold spray paint.
I also spray-painted one of the girls' yellow headbands.



After everything dried, I used my glue gun to attach the corrugated gold cardboard petals
to the headband to form a tiara - just layer the petal shapes.
The girls found some sparkly gems in our beads and I added those as well. 


"C" (age 6) looks like she's ready to take an adventure to the Land of Oz. 
Such a serious face.
We added the jewel dangle-thing later (not sure what I'm supposed to call it), 
I just punched a small hole through the cardboard with a sewing needle and tied the beads to the crown. 
Both girls love the crown and it has already been taken into the backyard for some serious fantasy play!



"E" (age10) thought it was pretty nifty.
She's off to explore the magical Land of Oz! 



Here's a close-up of the front and back of the crown. 
You can see how easy it was to layer the cardboard.


The best part about this project was that we had all of the supplies in our house. 
(Yes... I have metallic gold spray paint in my garage - don't you?!) 
This project was quick, easy, and inexpensive.
The longest part was waiting for the spray paint to dry and the glue gun to heat up!


The movie is a bit intense for younger kids, I would recommend it for at least age 10+,
(I'm not letting my 6 year old watch it until she's older - those flying monkeys are scary!)
Oz The Great And Powerful will be available on Blu-Ray Combo Pack and HD Digital. 
You can find more information on where to purchase the movie here. 
You could win a @DisneyOzMovie prize pack by pinning your adventure into
the land of Oz! Click here for more information. 

Follow Oz on Facebook
Follow Oz on Twitter
Follow Oz on Pinterest 

Check out even more great Oz-inspired crafts, snacks, and ideas from my fellow bloggers below!

Warmly,
Pink and Green Mama, MaryLea

Follow Me on Facebook
Follow Me on Pinterest
Follow Me on Instagram


7 comments:

Angela said...

Wow, so cute! I will have to make this for/with my girls for sure!

Carissa Bonham said...

This is so cute and I especially love the recycled part of it. I want one for me!

Crafty Homeschool Mama said...

Actually...yes, I do (have metallic gold spray paint in my garage...and silver, and bronze...). I absolutely love the crown, and your girls look darling in it. I am up to my ears in Ancient Rome right now with my crew, and am trying to figure out the easiest way to make a few gladiator helmets before Friday...may be playing with cardboard myself. :)

Jenn "Rook No. 17" said...

Using cardboard coffee sleeves is pure genius! You hit the nail on the head with this DIY for Glinda's crown. So, so beautifully done!

Jenn/Rook No.17

Veens @ Our Ordinary Life said...

That is Gorgeous :) I think we can make one for the boy too :)

Heather - Dollarstorecrafts.com said...

It looks JUST LIKE the original -- the coffee cozies were a stroke of genius. So great!

Jennifer Lew-Andrews said...

What a great idea! Love that it is made from recycled materials and it looks really pretty, too. Thanks for sharing this project!

Blog Archive

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...